Monday 2 February 2009

Buddy Marvellous!

We had a genuinely brilliant night out on Saturday watching 'Buddy - The Buddy Holly Story' at The Lowry in Salford Quays, Manchester. Linda and I bought the tickets last year as Christmas gifts and the evening had been eagerly anticipated. We took along Sarah and Katie, Linda's parents Geoff and Hazel and My parents Geoff and Eileen and we started off the event with a lovely meal in the adjacent Pizzeria. My Dad and I did the driving and we were so lucky with the traffic as Manchester United were hosting Everton in a re-arranged match! After the meal which was enjoyed by everyone we were treated to another feast of foot-tapping and hand-clapping right from the opening scene. The cast were truly superb and re-created the whole story and the sounds and scenery with a first class performance. If you'd have asked me beforehand how many Buddy Holly songs I knew I would probably have struggled to name 5, but as the show progressed I was amazed at how many I knew! All of them I think!! The band were marvellous and the extra performances of Ritchie Valens and The Big Bopper added to the musical genius and the comedy of the event which told the tale of how the music so tragically died exactly 50 years ago tomorrow, 03-FEB-59.

No comments: